Kevin Rudd takes to the web

In an effort to appeal to the web savvy voters of Australia, Kevin Rudd, the Labor Leader, has launched his new website Kevin07 today. In addition to the website, Kevin Rudd also has a blog, facebook account, MySpace account and a YouTube account.

Opinions aside about the suitability of this candidate for the Aussie Prime Minister role, it does show that this politician (or at least his advisors) is aware of the implications of social networks by the way he has created accounts on the key social networking sites, rather than just concentrating on one social network (like MySpace). This strategy follows a similar one taken by the US politicians.

On a technical note after a very quick skim through the homepage, KEVIN07:

• validates to XHTML 1.0 Transitional.
  • No major accessibility errors when checked with the WAVE tool.
  • Passes Section 508 via automated checks using Cynthia Says.
  • Doesn’t quite meet colour contrast checks in two spots (but the rest is ok), according to the AccessColor tool.
  • Website is readable and content is in a logical order when CSS is turned off (no sign of tables for layout!).

It’s not the prettiest website and there’s some areas for improvement but overall, it’s not bad.

6 comments ↓

#1 Ben Winter-Giles on 08.07.07 at 9:29 pm

gosh, it almost makes you want to buy a t-shirt and start blogging.
almost.
That said.

good job for keeping it clean, and doing his user research. I’m not sure if it fully hits the mark, but then I don’t have access to his user research.

#2 magia3e on 08.09.07 at 11:47 am

Wow, that’s quite an amazing list for an Australian government(ish) website. Normally, it’s all design, design, design and no backend xhtml/css-goodly substancey stuff.

Way to go Kev!

M

#3 violin kid on 08.09.07 at 2:35 pm

You’ve seen Kevin 07, Now check out Howard 007 !!

#4 Matt Stow on 08.10.07 at 12:48 pm

It is very pleasing to see that they took the semantic xhtml/css route. Kevin obviously knows what’s best.

And it would appear they’re reading all the blogs too – the site now passes the AccessColor tool check.

#5 Nestor on 01.02.14 at 4:04 pm

I loved the last version. Upgraded to 1.2 and my baretty is toast. The Gesture Search application on my HTC EVO 4G is absolutely eating the baretty. Right before I uninstalled it the baretty usage showed 69% Gesture Search and I hadn’t even opened the program. My baretty was gone and I could not successfully recharge it from an auxiliary baretty pack (Tekkeon 1800) until I uninstalled it because it appeared to be using baretty faster than the Tekkeon would feed it. No problems now after uninstall. I never turned on the flip feature.

#6 www.coalcityreview.com on 03.02.14 at 8:50 pm

This is what we need – an insight to make everyone think